***CANCELED*** Call to Caucus for 44th House of Delegates District *** CANCELED ***
*** CANCELED ***
Due to the fact that only a single candidate filed by the deadline, this caucus will be canceled. Congratulations to Scott Surovell the new Democratic Nominee in the 44th House of Delegates District. Get more info at www.Surovell2009.com.
*** CANCELED ***
Fairfax County Democratic Committee Call to Caucus
For Selection of Candidate for 44th House of Delegates District
Whereas, it is the duty of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of selecting a candidate for the General Election to be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2009 for 44th House of Delegates District.
Now therefore be it resolved that the Fairfax County Democratic Committee hereby issues the Call to an unassembled Caucus (Firehouse Primary) to convene at 3:00 p.m. and conclude at 8:00 p.m., Friday, July 10, 2009 for the sole purpose of nominating a candidate for the office of Delegate to the 44th House of Delegates District to take place at the following site:
* Mt. Vernon District – Mt. Vernon Government Center, 2511 Parkers Lane Alexandria VA
* In addition there will be absentee balloting available on Thursday, July 9, 2009 for any voter in the 44th House of Delegates District who cannot be at a caucus on Friday, July 10, 2009 from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the same location.
And the following provisions shall govern the convention, to wit:
1. Prefiling: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall prefile their candidacy in person or by his/her designee by 5:00 p.m. Friday, July 3, 2009, with the Chairman of the 44th Legislative District Committee, Ginny Peters, 4601 Wood Dr, Alexandria, 22309. Prefilings by any other means including mail, email or facsimile will not be accepted.
2. Filing Fee: There shall be a refundable filing fee of $1,000. The filing fee shall be in the form of cash or certified funds.
3. Notice Requirements: The Fairfax County Democratic Committee shall cause this Call to be published on the website for the Fairfax County Democratic Committee (www.fairfaxdemocrats.org) at least 7 days prior to the Caucus, but not more than 2 weeks before the Caucus. Notice of publication of the Call shall further be emailed to the membership of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee.
4. Cancellation: In the event that only one candidate files, the Caucus may be canceled.
5. Conduct the Caucus: The doors to the unassembled Caucus will be opened at 3:00 p.m. The doors to the caucus will be closed at 8:00 p.m and no further persons will be permitted to enter unless they are in line. Those in line or in the parking lot at 8:00 p.m. will be permitted to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to participate.
The Legislative District Chair or his/her designee shall be the Temporary Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Temporary Secretary and such other Temporary Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. The adoption of the Rules shall be by the Fairfax County Democratic Committee and will be in compliance with the Virginia Democratic Party Plan.
6. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of each local precinct Democratic chair and the members of each local Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited.
7. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee Chair to distribute a copy of the Call to Caucus.
It shall further be the duty of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee Chair to cause this Call to Caucus to be publicized through the news media of everywhere as is feasible.
Click here to downloaded the Call to Caucus, Caucus Rules, and Candidate Application.