Elimination of Satellite Absentee Voting Proposed
Due to budget cuts, the Fairfax County Registrar has proposing MAJOR cuts to the budget for elections including the elimination of ALL satellite absentee voting, no further purchases of “I Voted” stickers, elimination of optical scan voting for all 2009 elections, and reduction of polling place staffing.
In the 2008 Presidential Elections, Fairfax County’s absentee votes were much more heavily Democratic than the Election Day voters. This proposal will cost us votes.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Tell the Board that you believe that elections are a fundamental government responsibility that requires proper funding. Tax rates must be set at a level that will adequately cover the cost of everyone being able to participate in our democracy.
- Leave a message on the budget message line: 703-324-9400
- Call your Supervisor (contact information here)
- Submit comments online (here)
- Attend a community meeting (schedule & locations)
- Testify at the Board of Supervisors public hearings March 30 – April 2 (sign up here)