Discover in the August 2014 Issue of The Democrat
- Why Senator Warner believes that the bipartisan bill to reauthorize the funding for the Export-Import Bank is crucial to Virginia businesses,
- Why Sue Langley is praising this year’s FCDC Interns, and
- Why you should be celebrating milestones achieved in Fairfax County with Sharon Bulova and Ryan McElveen.
Download and read why our FCDC Labor Committee is addressing, “What labor wants?” Find out what long-time Watergate-era democratic activist recently died.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 Congressional candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the August 2014 Issue of The Democrat .
Open and read your August 2014 Issue of The Democrat.
Discover in the July 2014 issue of The Democrat
- Why Senator Kaine believes innovative outside-the-box solutions can help tackle the costs of college education,
- Why Delegate Bulova’s states “despite setbacks, thanks to the Democratic leadership, the General Assembly was able to move many issues forward”,
- Why Supervisor Hudgins believes that the need for alternative and multiple commuting modes of transportation is as critical today as it was in the 1920s, and
- Why Supervisor Hyland believes that Fairfax County should put the meals tax on the ballot in 2016.
Download and read why Fairfax School Board Member Jane Strauss says the School Board’s vote to increase elementary instruction for students is a good change. Read and respond to The Democrat’s column – Point/Counterpoint: The Meals Tax. See why our FCDC Labor Committee is saying labor is committed to immigrant rights. Read Part II of the FCDC’s National Affairs Committee’s series of national issues and questions of concern to Democrats.
Need to catch up on what the campaigns are doing? Read about the 2014 Senatorial and Congressional candidates and their campaigns in the Campaign Trail Report. This and more in the July 2014 The Democrat.
Open and read your July 2014 The Democrat today.
Discover in Your June 2014 Issue of The Democrat
- Why Congressman Moran fully supports the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) new energy standard,
- Why Fairfax County Recognized Congressman Connolly’s leadership,
- Why Jeff McKay says there’s no better way to get our Democratic message across than at the local level,
- How the donkey became the mascot of the Democratic Party, and
- What the FCDC new logo looks like.
Download and read Delegate Marcus Simon’s first article to The Democrat. Find out why Pat Hynes wants to talk about big “D” Democratic values and how they inform policy around public schools. See why our FCDC Labor Committee is promoting school and union partnerships. Follow the FCDC National Affairs Committee’s series of national issues and questions of concern to Democrats. This and more in the June issue of The Democrat.
Open and read Your June 2014 Issue of The Democrat today.
Take a moment to browse through the Special JJ Edition of The Democrat and see who was awarded the FCDC District Member of the Year, FCDC Volunteer of the Year, Magisterial District of the Year, Charles S. Robb Young Leaders Award, and Lynda J. Robb Community Service Award; read who received magisterial district awards; hear about the successful silent auction; and, enjoy the memories of the 2014 Jefferson-Jackson Dinner.
Read about the program and the dinner festivities in the Special JJ Edition of The Democrat.
Open and read the May 2014 issue of The Democrat today and discover
- How Congressman Gerry Connolly is helping fight climate change,
- What State Senator George Barker says about a budget agreement in Richmond, and
- Why Supervisor Penny Gross says diversity is not new to Fairfax County.
Find out why the Labor Committee says “Elected leaders play an important role in whether workers have the right to freely organize into a union;” read about who you should be congratulating this month and whose lives should be remembered in our “People in the News” section. Discover and participate in the two new additions to The Democrat: The Book of the Month contributed this month by the National Affairs Committee and The Democrat Monthly Trivia Contest; this month’s contest theme is “30 years ago.” Do you remember where you were in 1984?
This and more can be found in the May 13 2014 The Democrat Revised Edition
The second issue of the redesigned The Democrat is now available. The April 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Jim’s Moran newest fight on Capitol Hill to end the inhumane abuses of animals,
- Delegate Ken Plum’s Report Card of the 2014 General Assembly session, and
- Supervisor Jeff McKay’s discussion on the Fairfax County legislative package.
Read National Affairs Guest Author, Lori Wallach’s article on the NAFTA expansion agreement, Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP); find out why the Labor Committee says “to restore our middle class, workers must be free to organize and participate in unions without fear of retaliation;” discover who should receive our congratulations in our “People in the News” section, and hear about what the FCDC Technology Committee has been very busy doing. This and more can be found in the April 2014 issue of The Democrat.
Take a moment and review the redesigned monthly publication, The Democrat. The March 2014 issue will capture your interest with
- Congressman Gerry Connolly’s powerful article about his Northern Virginia archival project,
- Senate Majority Leader Richard Saslaw’s take on what’s happening in Richmond, and
- Chairman’s Bulova’s talk about the Fairfax County budget.
Learn about how the Governor is keeping his campaign promise of “Putting Jobs First.” Find out more about the topic of the program of our next FCDC Meeting from the National Affairs Committee, shed a tear when reading our human interest story, Remembering Shirley Carson, and review the volunteer opportunities and Headquarters News. This and more can be found in the March 2014 issue of The Democrat.
- 2011 The Democrat, December
- 2011 The Democrat, November Post-Election Edition
- 2011 The Democrat, October
- 2011 The Democrat, September
- 2011 The Democrat, August
- 2011 The Democrat, July
- 2011 The Democrat, June
- 2011 The Democrat, May
- 2011 The Democrat, April
- 2011 The Democrat, March
- 2011 The Democrat, February
- 2011 The Democrat, January
- 2010 The Democrat, November – Special Post-Election Issue
- 2010 The Democrat, October
- 2010 The Democrat, September
- 2010 The Democrat, August
- 2010 The Democrat, July
- 2010 The Democrat, June
- 2010 The Democrat, May
2010 The Democrat, April (1.7 MiB, 706 hits)
2010, The Democrat March (577.8 KiB, 767 hits)
2010, The Democrat February (913.5 KiB, 753 hits)
2010, The Democrat January (252.1 KiB, 722 hits)
Archived Issues 1962 to 2009
Archiving in process – Click here to view the files We are scanning past print issues of The Democrat to make them available to the public.
About The Democrat
|The Democrat is the monthly newsletter of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee, and its purpose is to provide information to Committee members and other interested persons through district reports, committee reports, news articles, campaign notices, and flyers. Views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the FCDC unless specifically approved by an appropriate Committee Resolution.|
How to Submit Material Generally material submitted to The Democrat should be limited to 250-300 words unless exceptions are made by the Editor or FCDC Chair. Please email material to email@example.com. Attach text file or photos, or copy the material into the email message. Deadline for submission is usually the last Friday of each month by 11:59 pm for inclusion in the following month’s issue. Limited numbers of The Democrat are mailed, primarily to those who do not have access to email. Deadlines Articles must be received by usually the last Friday of each month unless the month has four weeks. Deadlines are published in The Democrat. Articles received after the deadline may not make it into the issue. Advertising Ads are very much welcomed and accepted; however, we reserve the right to reject ads for any reason. No product, service, or event advertised herein is endorsed by The Democrat or the FCDC, unless otherwise noted. Let Us Hear From You! Write articles! Send photos! See details above, under How to submit material
2010 The Democrat, April (1.7 MiB, 706 hits)